So we have half of the original 8 flavors of Keto Chow switched over to version 2.1: Chocolate, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Cookies and Cream, and Salted Caramel. Following the schedule, the next flavor that’s going into packaging is Strawberry (the normal version, the “Natural Strawberry” that uses monk fruit will come later), Vanilla and Mocha are mixed already and will be bagged ASAP too. We also just received the Base Powder back in stock, the bag says 2.0 but it’s really 2.1 due to the change in Magnesium and Selenium. One thing of note: the final flavoring formulation for Chocolate Mint is finally complete – the feedback was that it wasn’t minty or chocolatey enough and both are now solved. In case you’re wondering why Chocolate Mint was last on the schedule, that’s why =)
The samples for 2.1.0 should hopefully start going in about 2 weeks, which is good as the 2.0 samples are starting to get rather low. We have run out of Cookies & Cream, Chocolate, and Strawberry – that’s enough that the “Sample ALL the Things” was temporarily demoted to “Most” and is now going to be taking a break entirely until we can get the 2.1 samples.
Most people are really liking 2.1; though, with any change, there are some that don’t like the changes. I’m really sorry about disappointing anyone – the changes we made with 2.1.0 make it more usable for more people doing a ketogenic diet and going back really isn’t an option. The flavoring that was being used for Keto Chow 2.0 is not usable in the future, we will not be going back – because: reasons. I have already identified some changes that do make the new flavoring stronger and address some of the other issues identified, those will go into place with version 2.1.1 – which I started making the nutrition panels and packaging revisions for 2.1.1 yesterday because it takes about 6 months to make any changes. Fun fact: I just discovered that on the bags for Keto Chow 2.1.0 Chicken Soup, I forgot to remove the “sucralose” from the ingredient list. That means we’ll get to draw a line through that on every bag. Yay!
I posted this list before, but it bears repeating. Let’s talk about the major changes people are finding with 2.1:
- KC 2.1 mixes up thicker. This has some big implications to not just the viscosity but also to the flavor. To get the same thickness as v2.0, you have to add additional water. That means you have more volume for the same amount of powder.
- More volume means you’re likely to stay full longer! (yay!)
- More volume also means that the flavor and sweetener are diluted across more volume – that will make the flavor and sweetness less intense compared to v2.0. Depending on your personal tastes, this is either a great thing or a bad thing. Some people are upset by the change, others are ecstatic.
- On an aside: we tried to get the intensity of the chocolate flavor to be close to 2.0’s, going so far as to increase the amount of “chocolate milkshake” flavor from 0.4g a serving up to 0.96g a serving.
- The sweetener was reduced 20% (from 100mg to 80mg). Again, some people love the reduced sweetness, others do not.
- The place that made the bags and applied the zipper does not seem to have used the zipper we told them to. The new zipper is thinner and tends to get clogged with powder. It’s annoying but it’s usually a quick fix: