Strawberry Hand Pies
These hand pies feature a crisp, short crust and sweet fruit filling, just like the pies grandma used to make. They are cute enough to offer your valentine, and sturdy enough to pack in a lunch box.
- cookie sheet, rolling pin, heart shaped cookie cutter, pastry brush
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or tin foil.
- Mix the Keto Chow and almond flour together in a large bowl.
- Add the butter and cut it into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse sand with a few pebble-sized pieces of butter still visible.
- Add the egg white and one tablespoon of water and mix until the dough starts to come together. When you pinch the dough between your finger and thumb it should hold together, If it doesn’t add the second tablespoon of water and knead together.
- Shape the dough into a ball; wrap it in plastic and let it rest for about 5 minutes.
- While the dough is resting, make an egg wash by mixing the egg yolk with the heavy cream.
- Sprinkle some Keto Chow on your work surface and roll the dough out to about 1/4-inch thickness. If it starts to stick, sprinkle more Keto Chow as you work.
- Cut out eight heart shapes. Place a teaspoon of jam in the center of four hearts then brush their edges with the egg wash. Place the other four hearts on top and gently seal the edges. Prick the tops with a fork or a small knife to create small steam vents.
- Lightly brush the tops of the pies with egg wash and transfer them to the prepared cookie sheet.
- You can use the extra dough to cut shapes to decorate your pies if you like.
- Bake until the edges are golden, and the bottoms are golden brown and crisp - 15-20 minutes.
If using a 3” cookie cutter, you may be able to get 5 hand pies to use up all the dough. Do not add too many vent holes or the top crust will fall apart and the jam will leak through.
Strawberry Hand Pies
Amount Per Serving (1 serving)
Calories 255.7 Calories from Fat 193
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 9g56%
Trans Fat 0.5g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2.38g
Monounsaturated Fat 8.69g
Vitamin A 474.55IU9%
Vitamin C 43.46mg53%
Sugar Alcohol 0.04g
Net Carbs 2.56g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 255.7kcal | Carbohydrates: 6.6g | Protein: 12.9g | Fat: 21.4g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.38g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8.69g | Trans Fat: 0.5g | Cholesterol: 87mg | Sodium: 290.7mg | Potassium: 628.11mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 474.55IU | Vitamin C: 43.46mg | Calcium: 265.18mg | Iron: 1.18mg | Sugar Alcohol: 0.04g | Net Carbs: 2.56g
Photos by Sarah DeYoung Photography